Radiology Top 100
Radiology Discussion Boards

Welcome Visitor, Please Register or Login
Author
pccrad

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Rib exams for posterior rib pain Reply with quote

First, let me say that I'm a student and I'm still learning the ropes.

If a patient came in with posterior rib pain, I would think that I should do the exams AP and LPO or RPO (depending on the affected side). However, I've heard that some techs might shoot it PA and LAO or RAO. What are the advantages and disadvantages of putting the affected rib area next to the IR as opposed to the unaffected side to the IR (unaffected, in this case, meaning opposite anterior or posterior side from the affected area)?

gunnervike

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With poserior rib trauma you would never want to shoot PA or anterior obliques. There is some logic to shooting a PA chest film to accompany your AP rib series, but unless specifically ordered or part of your routine - even a PA chest should not be included.

Three pictures minimum for unilateral posterior rib pain/trauma. AP high - on suspended inspiration, AP low - suspended expiration, and a posterior oblique rolling the patient away from the affected side -- to elongate the ribs.

AP/AP obliques will NOT offer good visualization of posterior ribs.

Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic

Jump to: