Radiology Top 100
Radiology Discussion Boards

Welcome Visitor, Please Register or Login
Author
nuclear26

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: RT or Nuclear Medicine? Which is better? Reply with quote

Hi,

My wife wants to have career in the field of radiology and learn MRI too, now we both were thinking as which course is better either Associates Degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology or Associates in RT? what kind of future each hold?

As I'm from an engineering background have little to no knowledge about medical field so I'm unable to guide my wife as which course can give her better opportunity & pay out there.

I would appreciate if any of the experienced professionals guide us appropriately with detailed reasoning soon.

Thanks much for your help.

Best Regards
Nuclear 26

Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Nuclear medicine tech...

I think your wife should debate the pros and cons of each.

She should try to "search" for a job using both...see which jobs are offered.

Just so you know, you can start off an X-ray tech, then just get credits to become NMT. You cannot do the opposite. Once you graduate radiology tech...you can be cross-trained in CT, MRI, Sonogram, etc.

Plus, there is more Hybrid technology now. For example: SPECT/CT and PET/CT. If you are a nuc med tech... they will not allow you to use the CT scanner. So, now-a-days, they are looking for people who are cross-trained!

(This is in NY...not sure in other states. But most likely the same.)

zephren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Job avalibility Reply with quote

I live in Dallas, TX. I am about to apply to a Nuclear Medicine program. When I graduate I will be eligible to take exams for both RT and Nuc Med Tech. I am concerned however that this will be the worst mistake of my life. Im worried that when I graduate I wont be able to find a job. From what I hear jobs are few and far between, and when you can find a Nuc Med position they want you to have 5+ years experience. What was your experience? How did you find a job after graduation? Any pointers on how I can secure a job before I even graduate? All feedback is appriciated! :lol:

Hommy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: To Zephren Reply with quote

Bro,

I don't know what planet you are in but, the one I live in only allows a nuclear medicine grad to take the boards for NM. You have to go to a radiology tech school to get your RT. As a Nuclear Medicine tech you can take your CT registry after you have documented hours and taken one or two CT classes however, you cannot take the RT exam.

Capital

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be appling to a two year Nu. Med school in Dallas this year. How do I gain experience or "look" more apealing to the Nu. Med work force?

jonathantrott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: http://www.healthcampus.com/radiology-continuing-education/ Reply with quote

Radiation-detection technology is an integral and critical part of medical science and healthcare, more so now than when the first medical x-ray was used to image a hand in 1895. Today, some 5 billion medical x-ray images are made each year worldwide, each one processed by a team of highly trained registered radiology technologists and registered radiologist assistants. At most medical facilities in the U.S., radiology technologists and radiologist assistants must pass their mandatory radiologic technology continuing education to be allowed to handle any of the radiation-detection technologies available today.
http://www.healthcampus.com/radiology-continuing-education/

Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic

Jump to: