Can you be a dental assistant without a certificate?

I am certified in CPR. I have a dental radiology license and take continuing education courses. I just want to know if I am doing this legally. I personally feel I have more knowledge than some of the people they are hiring from dental school. I take my job very seriously.


  1. J B says

    It may depend on your state.

    I recently attended an information session on dental hygiene and dental assisting, and we were told that the difference is as follows:

    DA1 – on the job training
    DA2 – formal schooling
    CDA – formal schooling plus DANB certification

  2. CDA~NY says

    What state are you in? If you go to the DANB site ( you’ll be able to get all the info you need for your state……… and you’ll know if you’re doing things illegally or not…